Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade Salsa

My mom has been making homemade salsa for as long as I can remember. It's SO good--just as good (or better) than many restaurants' fresh salsa! Yes, I know I'm biased, but seriously it gets rave reviews just about anytime it's made! Making it so inexpensive, easy, fresh and SUPER delicious!! And, the beauty is the recipe can be tweaked just about any way you like!  

Ingredients:
 
 - 1 large can (28oz) whole peeled tomatoes 
 - 3 15 oz cans diced tomatoes (I often like to use some with "flavors" like fire roasted, garlic, or mild green chilies added)
 - 1 small (8oz) can tomato sauce
 - 3 small cans diced green chilies (mild)
 - 1 bunch green onions (I know the pictures shows 2, I only ended up using one)
 - 1/2 bunch cilantro (more or less to taste)
 - fresh lime juice (to taste)
 - garlic (minced and/or garlic powder to taste)
 - La Victoria Salsa Brava Hot Sauce to taste
 - dash of red wine vinegar and olive oil


Directions:
 - start by dumping the can of whole peeled tomatoes into a large mixing bowl (don't drain anything!). Break the tomatoes by hand or cut. Continue with all canned ingredients.
- wash and chop entire batch of green onions. Add to bowl.
 
- wash and remove leaves from cilantro (no stems). Chop cilantro leaves and add to bowl.
- add juice from half a lime, garlic to taste, and hot sauce to taste. I recommend starting with a small amount of hot sauce, mixing well, and tasting. A little hot sauce can go a long way! Add a dash of vinegar and oil. Stir. And, voila, homemade salsa! *Important note: this salsa must be refrigerated and usually keeps for about 2 weeks.
   
Serve up with some chips and enjoy! :) It's PERFECT for parties!!
 
What's YOUR favorite salsa?

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to try making my own salsa for so long. This recipe looks great!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails