Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Harry Potter

 {source}
Today was a bittersweet day after 10 years of Harry Potter. Yes, I'm one of those Harry Potter nerds. Though the first book was released my senior year of high school, I didn't actually start reading until my senior year of college when the first movie came out. That summer, I studied abroad at Oxford. We spent time at Christ Church where scenes from the movie were filmed (and from which the Great Hall at Hogwart's was modeled). 
So, when the movie came out in November, I went with friends who had read the first few books. I was immediately hooked. I had to know what happened to "the boy who lived"! I got the first three books for Christmas and could hardly put them down.
I hadn't read like that since I was a little girl. From middle school on, I read very little for enjoyment, as there always seemed to be copious reading assignments for classes and mandatory books that I had to read. But, this magical "children's" book series drew me back.
I've stood in line to get the newest Harry Potter book at Barnes 'n Noble at midnight. I've been in line for midnight movies. I've spent entire days reading away, engrossed in this magical world.
After movie three, Mr. Mom Endeavors became hooked and he too had to know what happens. Instead of just telling him, we read books 4 & 5 aloud to each other on car trips. Then, we read books 6 & 7 together. We've been to just about all of the movies together.
So, it probably comes as no surprise that we loved the last installment. Yet, today, it was a bittersweet moment knowing that it was the last time we'd do that together. The last little bit of college done. And (especially if you know me in real life), it probably wouldn't surprise you to know that I shed a tear cried on and off throughout the whole last half of the movie, especially at the end. I don't like goodbyes!

But, this isn't goodbye. Not really. That's the beauty of stories--they live in our hearts, in our minds, (and on our bookshelves). "The stories we love best do live in us forever" {J.K. Rowling}.
The boys are too young now, but I'm so excited to enchant them with these magical stories in years to come. I look forward to nights snuggled up on their bed when they beg for just one more page. I can't wait for Harry Potter parties and sometime we'll have to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando (too bad it's not in England instead).

So, on this day when we said goodbye to Harry for now, I thank you J.K. for sharing your magic; for writing a story that captivated ages 8 to 98; for sparking my love of reading again! And, as The Heir to Blair said so well in her post, "thank you, Harry". 
"Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."
-J.K. Rowling

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails