Saturday, February 12, 2011

Strawberry Valentine's Cake

This recipe is a Valentine's family tradition! My grandma made it for my mom and uncles...my mom made it for us...and now I've made it a few times too! The original ingredients call for a white cake mix. For some strange reason (it's not something I remember buying and don't usually), we had a strawberry cake mix, so I went with that this time!
Ingredients:
Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 box (small) strawberry jello
- 1 C chopped strawberries (can us frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 oil (I use 1/4 oil, 1/4 applesauce)
- 1/4 water
- 4 eggs
Frosting:
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 8oz. block of cream cheese-
- 1/2 C strawberries
- 4 C powdered sugar


Directions:
- mix cake mix and jello (dry)
- add all wet ingredients and mix until combined
- poor into heart-shaped pans and bake at 325 for 40-45 mins. Let cool completely before frosting!
- while the cake bakes, mix up your frosting. cream butter & cream cheese together first (this works better if they are both at room temp). then add strawberries & powdered sugar until the desired consistency & taste is reached.
*note: this will not be like thick buttercream frosting...it's somewhere in-between frosting & glaze. So, it will be somewhat runny.
- frost your cake & garnish with fresh strawberries if desired. Don't put the strawberries on until you plan on serving--if you put them on too far in advance (day/night before, they will start getting runny).
Voila! Now serve & enjoy your very pink, moist, and sweet strawberry cake! 

Does your family have any Valentine's food traditions or favorite sweet treats?

1 comment:

  1. I love this cake! This was my daughter's birthday cake last year... I made it as a round double-layer cake. I'm going to have to try it with the strawberry cake mix the next time. You can't have too much strawberry in our family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails