Thursday, February 24, 2011

The BEST homemade garlic bread!

Ok, so really, I don't know that it's the best--but everyone in our family sure seems to think so (and many friends could attest to it too!) :) It's definitely a family favorite and always a part of our favorite celebratory meal--steaks, salad, and this garlic bread! 

Here's what you'll need (just general ingredients--amount will depend on how many slices you make):
french bread loaf
butter 
minced garlic or garlic powder
parmesan cheese (grated fresh or the powder kind)

Directions:
- set the oven to broil (make sure that your oven rack is not too close to the top)
- cut bread into slices about 1 inch thick & place on a baking sheet
 - in a pan, melt butter (for this one sheet of slices, I used about 3/4 of a stick). Add garlic or garlic powder (I used one pressed clove & a little sprinkle of garlic powder).
 - place your sheet of bread slices into the very hot oven. DO.NOT.WALK.AWAY (ask me how I know)! In fact sometimes, I stand there and leave the oven door just cracked open a bit. You just want to barely toast the top of your bread. This doesn't take long.
 - as soon as they start to toast, remove the pan from the oven--let cool just until you can handle each slice. Leave the toasted side up and dip into your melted garlic butter. I just barely dip--NOT soak!
 - put slices, buttered side up, back on the baking sheet. Generously sprinkle each slice with parmesan cheese.
  - put them back in your very hot oven and again--DON'T walk away! Watch as the parmesan cheese starts bubbling (mmmm) and the edges start to brown a bit. Then, remove immediately. 
Mmmmmmm....fresh, homemade garlic bread that is not too greasy, not full of preservatives like the frozen kind, not too cheesy, and is just a bit crispy on both sides! It's seriously SO good!!! 
*Linked to some of these great sites!

13 comments:

  1. Umm! Can't wait to for pasta night to come so I can try this! Thanks, Leda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! Thanks for linking to Saturday Swap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum. I could eat garlic bread every day if left unsupervised lol. Saw your recipe on Tip Junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! I can see how this could be the best! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks fab! Thanks so much for sharing...yumo!

    Heather
    www.thegiftcloset.blogspot.com
    www.realhousewifega.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delish! Thanks for sharing.
    I just started a recipe party on my blog, born-again crafter and would love for you to join!
    Lyssa

    http://bornagaincrafter.blogspot.com/2011/02/scrumtrulescent-saturdays-party-green.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I might need to do a bit of double dipping - these sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh looks so yummy I have to try it this week! I love the design of your blog!
    Crystal

    www.chocolatedroolandkisses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious. Definitely going to make this tonight with some pasta!!

    Found you on tip junkie

    www.the-polka-dot-umbrella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO important to remind people not to walk away from the bread - I made that mistake recently and ruined my beautiful garlic bread! :-(

    Visiting from Tasty Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! You had me at "best"...and then again at "garlic bread"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum!!! Garlic bread and I are such good friends, too!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week's Mingle Monday. Can't wait to see what you share next week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love homemade garlic bread I am going to try some of your tips next time

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails