Monday, October 18, 2010

Creamy Italian Chicken

This recipe is SO yummy!!  And, definitely healthier than chicken alfredo!
Through my little couponing obsession, I was able to get 1/3 lower fat Philly cream cheese last week for free! :)  Sweet!  But, then I needed some recipes that call for cream cheese.  I had chicken I needed to cook, so a simple swagbucks search led me to the discovery of creamy italian chicken recipes.  The overwhelming majority are crockpot recipes which I will definitely be trying sometime.  But, by the time I found the recipes, it was too late to use the crockpot that night for dinner.  So, I concocted my own oven recipe.  
Here's what you'll need:
  • Chicken (I had one package of 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts and one small package of chicken tenders.  Most recipes seem to range between 3 & 6 chicken breasts) 
  • Non-stick cooking spray
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free)
  • milk (I used about 1/2 the soup can full of 1%)
  • 8oz. package of cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
  • 1 packet italian seasoning (I used Good Seasons)
  • Pasta (or rice or even just veggies to serve chicken on)
Spray a 9X13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and put in your chicken.  I baked the chicken on convection bake 350.  Once the chicken is about half-way done cooking, take the chicken out and add the italian seasoning packet, the can of soup (I added the milk just to make the sauce a little thinner), and the cream cheese.  Just chunk the cream cheese and disperse evenly over the chicken.  Put back in the oven and continue cooking (about 30-40 minutes total cooking time).  At this point, cook your pasta (or rice, veggies, etc.)  We had some whole grain spaghetti on hand, so that's what I used.  
Once the chicken is cooked through, take out and serve! :)
I decided to cut/shred the chicken and mix it all together (made it easier for the toddler!).  You certainly could leave the breasts whole with sauce on top.  Also, there are quite a few variations you could do--add mushrooms, onions, or other veggies; add an extra can of soup to make it creamier; add parmesan cheese; serve atop/with different items.  
Any way you make this though, it is SO good!!  Big Brother loved it too, so it gets the kid-friendly stamp of approval also!

Do you make something similar?  If you do or if you try this recipe, I'd love to hear about it! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails